ALPINE PASSES & THE
GREAT DOLOMITE ROAD
This 13 day tour encompasses some of the most spectacular passes in Europe, including the Great Dolomite Road, the Stelvio Pass and the Grossglockner High Alpine Road. As you make your way through Switzerland and into the Italian Tyrol, the scenery gets better and better as you pass through valley's dotted with green pastures, picturesque villages and steep mountain trails.
The Great Dolomite Road runs through the Dolomites from Bozen to Cortina d’Ampezzo. The Great Dolomite Road project started at the end of the 19th century; after trying for several years to cross over the canyons of the Eggental Valley using suspension bridges. In 1896 the road from the Eggental Valley to the Karerpass was fully developed and, since 1909, the 110 kilometres long road has run from Bozen over the Eggental Valley to the Fassa Valley in Trentino and further on to Veneto and Cortina d’Ampezzo. You can make the 110 kilometre journey from Bolzano to Cortina d'Ampezzo in a few hours, but you will want to give yourself the full day so as not to miss any of the spectacular scenery and spine tingling views.
The Stelvio Pass is officially the third highest pass in the Alps (2757m) and possibly the most dramatic mountain pass to drive in the European Alps.
The Grossglockner High Alpine Road is the highest paved mountain pass road in Austria and has 36 hair-raising hairpin turns. The road ribbons through mountain pastures, flower meadows, foothills and up into the alpine majesty of the mountains themselves offering awe inspiring views along the way. We recommend driving it early morning or late afternoon due to its popularity.
Look What’s Included
• Return Ferry crossing from Dover to Calais
- see other crossings options above
• 1 Night at the Hotel du Golf, Chamouille
• 1 Night at the Best Western Grand Bristol, Colmar
• 2 Nights at the Hotel Stocker, South Tyrol
• 1 Night at the Franceschi Park Hotel Cortina D’Ampezzo
• 3 Nights at the Sonnalp Hotel, Kirchberg
• 1 Night at the Klingenstein Hotel, Blaustein
• 2 Nights at the V8 Hotel, Stuttgart
• 1 Night at the Van der Valk Hotel, Liege
• Breakfast each morning & dinners as meal basis below
• Detailed Road Book featuring Maps, Great Drives & Local Attractions
• Commemorative Tour Rally Plate
• Car Parking at all hotels - charges may apply locally
See our selection of wonderful hotels, all of which have been hand-picked for their quality, facilities and location