The Best of
Few regions sum up the attractions of France better than the Dordogne, with its rich food, captivating history, château-studded countryside and picturesque villages. It’s also famous for having some of France’s finest prehistoric cave art, which fill the caverns and rock shelters of the Vézère Valley.
Today it’s known to the French as the Périgord, and is divided into four colour-coded areas: Périgord Pourpre (purple) for the winegrowing regions around Bergerac; Périgord Noir (black) for the dark oak forests around the Vézère Valley and Sarlat-la-Canéda; Périgord Blanc (white) after the limestone hills around the capital, Périgueux; and Périgord Vert (green) for the forested regions of the north.
Vézac is home to one of the world’s most magnificent landscapes, the famed overhanging Gardens of Marqueyssac. There is also Rocamadour, perched half-way up a vertical cliff, which is a spectacular setting with a world famous appeal. The town of Domme is one of the best preserved medieval Bastide towns with wonderful views over the Dordogne River. Take a traditional flat-bottomed boat trip from La Roque Gageac and admire the Châteaux of de Castelnaud, the Château de Marqueyssac, the Château de Lacoste and the Château de la Malartrie from the unique vantage point of the river.
Best of the Dordogne
Drive to your chosen port of departure for the crossing to Europe followed by the drive to Honfleur.
Mileages from the Port to the Hotel
Calais - 175 miles / Zeebrugge - 250 miles
Caen - 45 miles
Look What’s Included
• Return P&O Ferry Crossing from Dover to Calais - see other crossings options above
• 1 Night at the Mercure or Antares Hotel Honfleur
• 1 Night at the Novotel, Amboise
• 5 Nights at the Hotel La Hoirie, Sarlat-la- Canéda
• 1 Night at the Novotel Demeure de Campagne, Orleans
• Breakfast each day & dinners as meal basis below
• Detailed Road Book featuring Maps, Great Drives & Local Attractions
• Commemorative Tour Rally Plate
• Complimentary Car Parking at all Hotels
All of the hotels on this tour have been hand-picked for their quality, facilities and location
Dates & Prices
Best of the Dordogne Tour
Staying at the Hotel La Hoirie, Sarlat la Canéda