The romance of Route 66 continues to captivate people around the world. Running between Chicago and Los Angeles for over 2448 miles, this legendary old road passes through the heart of the United States on a diagonal trip that takes in some of the country’s most archetypal roadside scenes. If you’re looking for great displays of neon signs, rusty middle-of-nowhere truck stops, or kitschy Americana, do as the song says and “get your kicks on Route 66”.
Route 66 passes through a diverse cross-section of American scenes, from the cornfields of Illinois all the way to the golden sands and sunshine of Los Angeles. It passes by numerous landscapes including the Grand Canyon, the Native American communities of the desert southwest, the small-town Midwest heartlands of Oklahoma and the Ozarks, as well as the gritty streets of St. Louis and Chicago. Whether you are motivated by an interest in history, feel a nostalgic yearning for the “good old days” Route 66 has come to represent, or simply want to experience first-hand the amazing diversity of people and landscapes that line its path, Route 66 offers an unforgettable journey into America, then and now.
When is the best time to drive Route 66 - The season starts in May and runs through to the end of October. BBefore or after that you risk running into cold weather, especially in the mid-west and the higher elevation portions of Route 66. From our personal experience, the best time to drive Route 66 is mid-September to mid-October, however, Route 66 is a drive of a lifetime no matter what time of year or what the weather’s like!
The weather for driving will be at its best between mid-May and mid-October, and it will add to the loveliness of your drive. There’s always a good chance you’ll see rain, as Route 66 is more than 2,400 miles long through varied terrain.
Look What’s Included
• 20 Days Compact Size Car Hire (Chevrolet Cruze or similar)
• 2 Nights Chicago, IL • 1 or 2 Nights Springfield, IL
• 2 Nights St Louis, MO • 1 Night Springfield, MO
• 1 Night Oklahoma City, OK • 1 Night Amarillo, TX
• 2 Nights Alburqurque/Santa Fe, NM
• 1 Night Flagstaff, AZ
• 1 Night Monument Valley, AZ
• 2 Nights Grand Canyon, AZ • 1 Night Needles, CA
• 2 Nights Las Vegas, NV • 1 Night Victorville, CA
• 2 Nights Santa Monica, CA
• Breakfast at all hotels except Chicago, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas & Santa Monica
• Admissions & Inclusions as per the Itinerary
• Limo Transfer & Reservation at the Big Texan Steak Ranch (meal cost payable locally)
• Detailed Road Book featuring Maps, Great Drives & Local Attractions
• Route 66 EZE Guide Book
• Commemorative Route 66 Tour Rally Plate
• Commemorative Tour T-Shirt & Baseball Cap
• Car Parking at all Hotels (except Chicago & Santa Monica where charges are payable locally)
OUR ROUTE 66
See our selection of hotels, all of which have been hand-picked for their quality, facilities and location
Transatlantic Flights - Due to the variety of flight requests we get these tours, we have NOT included flights in our package. This gives you the flexibility to choose which day you travel on, which airport you travel from and affords you the option to upgrade or utilise any air miles etc you may have. We will of course be happy to book your flights for you, in which case All flight bookings are operated for Scenic & Continental Car tours by our sister company Success Tours ATOL No. 5114