top of page
Brexit web header image.jpg


Duty free is Back.JPG

Since 1st January 2021 the UK is no longer a part of the European Union, however, for anyone travelling to Europe. Anyone with a passport that expires within six months of their date of travel, should get their passport renewed as soon as possible. UK nationals will only need a visa if they want to stay in the EU more than 90 days in a 180-day period.

For those people who have had extra months added to their existing 10 year UK passport, because they renewed their old passport before it expired, may find that these additional months do not count towards the 6 months that should be remaining.



Will the UK driving licence be accepted in the EU after Brexit? 

Yes, your UK driving licence will still be valid for driving in Europe after 31st December 2020. 

So what do I need to do as a visitor driving in the EU? 

Nothing, from 1st January 2021 driving licence rules will remain unchanged, however we still recommend  that you get an International Driving Permit (IDP) to be able to drive in some European countries as a visitor after the UK has left. Check this guidance page for full information:

They cost £5.50 and are valid for a year. 

I want to drive in Ireland; will I need an IDP? 

No, it has been agreed that your UK driving licence will still be valid on its own while you are driving in Ireland. 

What about drivers from the EU coming to the UK? 

The Department for Transport has agreed that the United Kingdom will continue to recognise the EU driving licence as valid.


Healthcare when travelling in the EU

From 1 January 2021 you will still be able to use your EHICs which remain valid until their expiry date, however they will be phased out. The UK government says they will be replaced by a new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC), but there are no further details yet on how to obtain it. It is therefore, very important that you have appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go abroad. Make sure it covers any pre-existing conditions that were previously covered by your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).


Click here for further details -


Vehicle insurance for UK registered vehicles in the EU


Evidence of motor insurance cover when driving abroad in the EU, Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland. For driving in the rest of the world this will depend country by country and you should check the travel advice for each country you are travelling to.

Some countries also require separate insurance for trailers. This means that you may also need a separate Green Card for your trailer. You should contact your vehicle insurance provider to obtain a motor insurance Green Card.

EU pet passports will no longer be valid, but people will still be able to travel with pets, following a different and a more complicated process.

Please note: This advice is for general information only. You should not rely on this information to make or refrain from making any decisions. Always obtain independent, professional advice for your own particular situation. For up to date guidance see

If you have any further questions or concerns, please email us


Last updated 26 April 2021

bottom of page